Tuesday, July 10, 2007

oh dear kesemek...

This afternoon, as suddenly there was a burst of blog hopping desire in my blood, I decided to follow the links people left on my shout box, opening one blog to another... and finally I got this funny site about labeling here.

As I scrolled down, I found a fruit name that somehow sounded familiar to me, yet it hasn't been spoken in public for quite a long time. The fruit is KESEMEK. (well it is Indonesian, still I have to make this blog understandable for my fellow people)

Then as I read the Latin name for this fruit, the blog said that it was diospyros kaki. Suddenly I remembered the fruit I have been eating here in Brazil. The fruit looked like tomatoes from the outside, even when you bite it it would still have this tomato structure inside. Only, it was sweet. Not containing any sour taste like tomato.

I kept getting confused, not knowing if the fruit exist or not in my origin land, for I never heard of it mentioned. And today, I finally found out that diospyros kaki / kesemek / kaki (portuguese) is indeed the same fruit!!

Here it is! Picture linked from Wikipedia.

It is said in the Wikipedia Indonesian version that this fruit is actually tasted sepet. I don't know how to describe sepet in English, maybe it's like tasting the rubber of your sandals. Hahahaha. And this sepet taste unable it to be eaten directly. There is still a little process needed to eliminate the sepet. If you are an Indonesian speaking reader, read the complete information here.

But weirdly, the Brazilian kesemek (or kaki) that I have been eating never tasted sepet. All tasted sweet like, like... like sugar! And there were no processing at all needed for this fruit to be enjoyed.

So... this time it is, I guess. Some entry about a Brazilian fruit, Kaki, which indeed exist in Indonesia, with a different name, and a little different taste. Thanks for reading! =)